As a traveler, you’re always on the lookout for ways to make your adventures more seamless and enjoyable. ChatGPT offers a range of practical features that can assist you during your travels. With its vast knowledge base and natural language processing abilities, ChatGPT provides you with real-time recommendations, language translation support, and up-to-date information on various aspects of your journey.
This page is part of the How to Use ChatGPT guide. At the bottom of this page, you’ll find links to other use cases.
Travel Planning and Itinerary Creation
- Requesting destination recommendations based on preferences
To receive personalized travel suggestions, you can provide your preferences and interests. The AI will generate a list of destinations that cater to those preferences.
User prompt: Recommend a European destination for a solo traveler who loves art, history, and vegetarian cuisine.
AI response: I highly recommend visiting Florence, Italy. This city is known for its rich art and history, with famous landmarks such as the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia Gallery, which houses Michelangelo’s David. Moreover, there are numerous vegetarian-friendly restaurants serving traditional Italian dishes with a fresh focus on plant-based ingredients.
- Asking for itinerary ideas based on your travel plans
After choosing a destination, you can request specific itinerary ideas based on your length of stay, interests, and travel style.
User prompt: I’m planning a four-day trip to Tokyo. Can you suggest a balanced itinerary with a mix of popular attractions, local experiences, and relaxation?
- Visit the iconic Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa
- Explore Nakamise shopping street
- Take a relaxing evening stroll along the scenic Sumida River
- Visit Tsukiji Outer Market for sushi breakfast
- Discover Meiji Shrine in the heart of Yoyogi Park
- Wander through Takeshita Street in Harajuku for unique fashion
- Explore the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
- Experience the bustling streets of Shibuya and its famous crossing
- Enjoy a leisurely evening at an izakaya in Ebisu
- Take a day trip to Yokohama, visiting Minato Mirai 21 and Chinatown
- Relax at a Japanese onsen in the evening
- Requesting accommodation suggestions based on your preferences
Finding the perfect place to stay can be challenging. You can ask the AI to recommend accommodations based on your preferences, such as location, budget, and type.
User prompt: Recommend a family-friendly hotel in Paris with a central location, close to main tourist attractions, and within a budget of $200 per night.
AI response: Consider staying at the Ibis Styles Paris Gare du Nord TGV, a family-friendly hotel located near the Gare du Nord train station. The hotel offers rooms within your budget, and its central location provides easy access to major tourist attractions such as Notre-Dame, the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower. The hotel also provides complimentary breakfast and family rooms to accommodate family travel.
- Requesting day-by-day itinerary breakdown with activity details
To create a detailed and engaging itinerary, you can ask for a day-by-day breakdown that includes specific activities, timeframes, and transportation recommendations.
User prompt: I’m going on a 3-day trip to Barcelona. Please provide a day-by-day itinerary with detailed activity suggestions, including morning, afternoon, and evening plans.
- Morning: Start your day with a visit to La Sagrada Familia, Gaudí’s masterpiece. Book a timed entry ticket in advance to avoid queues.
- Afternoon: Head to Park Güell, another of Gaudí’s creations. Reserve a ticket for the Monumental Zone and explore the park’s artistic and natural beauty.
- Evening: Enjoy tapas and drinks at El Nacional, a gastronomic market with various food stations.
- Morning: Discover the Gothic Quarter, with its narrow streets, historic architecture, and the stunning Barcelona Cathedral.
- Afternoon: Wander down La Rambla, a vibrant boulevard, and stop by the famous La Boqueria Market for lunch.
- Evening: Catch a flamenco show at Tablao Cordobés, a renowned venue for authentic performances.
- Morning: Visit Montjuïc, a hill overlooking the city. Start with a stroll in the Jardins de Joan Maragall, followed by the National Art Museum and the ‘Magic Fountain’ light show.
- Afternoon: Relax on Barceloneta Beach and soak up the sun or swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Evening: End your trip with a sunset view from Bunkers del Carmel, offering panoramic vistas of Barcelona.
- Requesting thematic itinerary suggestions tailored to your interests
If you have specific interests, be it art, food, or architecture, you can request a thematic itinerary incorporating the best spots related to your passion.
User prompt: I’m a photography enthusiast visiting New York City for 4 days. Can you provide a list of must-visit photography spots and suggested activities for each day?
- Sunrise: Capture the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan skyline from DUMBO, Brooklyn
- Afternoon: Wander through Central Park, photographing the Bethesda Terrace and Bow Bridge
- Sunset: Head to the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center for sweeping city views
- Morning: Visit the High Line, a linear park built on an old railway line, ideal for street photography
- Afternoon: Explore the vibrant streets of Soho and its unique cast-iron architecture
- Evening: Snap the illuminated Times Square, the epitome of NYC’s nightlife
- Morning: Photograph the iconic Flatiron Building, followed by a visit to the nearby Madison Square Park
- Afternoon: Walk across the Williamsburg Bridge and explore the street art scene in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
- Sunset: Catch golden hour at Gantry Plaza State Park in Long Island City, Queens, with stunning skyline views
- Morning: Check out Coney Island’s beach, amusement park, and colorful murals
- Afternoon: Photograph the street art in Bushwick, Brooklyn, particularly at the Bushwick Collective
- Evening: Visit the neon lights at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, and capture the Statue of Liberty from the ferry
- Requesting alternative activity options to customize your itinerary
You can ask for alternative options to replace activities or destinations in your itinerary or to accommodate weather changes or your mood.
User prompt: I am following a 5-day London itinerary. Today’s plan is visiting Kew Gardens, but the weather is rainy. Can you recommend an alternative indoor activity?
AI response: Since the weather is rainy, instead of visiting Kew Gardens, consider visiting the Natural History Museum. This world-famous museum has an amazing collection of exhibits, including dinosaur fossils, a life-sized blue whale model, and the stunning Hintze Hall. With so much to see, it’s the perfect indoor alternative for a rainy day.
Destination Research and Information Retrieval
- Requesting historical and cultural background of landmarks
To gain a deeper understanding of the places you visit, you can ask for historical and cultural context about destinations and landmarks.
User prompt: Tell me about the history and cultural significance of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
AI response: Angkor Wat is a temple complex in Cambodia and one of the largest religious monuments in the world. Built in the 12th century by the Khmer King Suryavarman II, it was initially a Hindu temple dedicated to the god Vishnu. Later, it transitioned into a Buddhist temple. Its intricate bas-reliefs, iconic towers, and majestic layout represent a masterful blend of spirituality, symbolism, and architecture, making it a symbol of Cambodian national pride and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Requesting practical tips and advice for visiting a location
You can request practical tips to help you make the most of your visit, from transportation options to local customs and etiquette.
User prompt: Can you give me some practical advice for visiting the Taj Mahal, such as the best time to go, mode of transportation, and any visitor guidelines?
AI response: When visiting the Taj Mahal, it’s best to arrive early in the morning to avoid large crowds and capture the sunrise. Alternatively, evening visits showcase the monument in a different light. The nearest city, Agra, is well-connected to India’s major cities by train and bus. Upon arrival at the Taj Mahal, note that there’s a no-shoe policy within the main mausoleum, so you’ll be provided with shoe covers. Additionally, tripods and large bags aren’t allowed, and photography is prohibited within the mausoleum itself. Be respectful of the site’s cultural, spiritual, and historical significance throughout your visit.
- Requesting local insights and recommendations, such as food, markets, or lesser-known attractions
To enable a more authentic travel experience, you can ask for insights about local cuisine, markets, or hidden gems in the area.
User prompt: I’m going to Kyoto, Japan. Can you recommend some local dishes I should try and where I might find them in the city?
AI response: In Kyoto, you’ll find a variety of delicious local dishes, such as:
- Kaiseki: A multi-course, traditional Japanese meal. For an exceptional Kaiseki dining experience, try Gion Karyo in the Gion district.
- Yudofu: A comforting tofu hotpot dish. Visit Nanzenji Junsei, located near Nanzenji Temple, for a lovely Yudofu meal.
- Matcha sweets: Kyoto is renowned for its green tea, including matcha-flavored desserts. Visit Itoh Kyuemon in Uji, a suburb of Kyoto, for an array of tantalizing matcha treats.
Also, explore Nishiki Market, a bustling food market teeming with local specialties, street food stalls, and traditional shops where you can taste many of Kyoto’s culinary delights.
- Requesting visa and entry requirements information
For a stress-free travel experience, you can ask about visa and entry requirements, ensuring your documents meet the necessary criteria.
User prompt: Can you tell me about the visa requirements for US citizens visiting Brazil for tourism purposes?
AI response: For US citizens visiting Brazil for tourism, a visa is not required for stays up to 90 days within a 12-month period. However, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry. Additionally, you may be asked to present proof of onward or return travel, and adequate financial means to support yourself during your stay.
- Requesting local transportation options and costs
Make the most of your trip by understanding the transportation options available at your destination, and how much they might cost.
User prompt: What are the main transportation options within Amsterdam, and can you provide the approximate costs of each method?
AI response: In Amsterdam, the main transportation options are as follows:
- Bicycle: The city is famous for its bike-friendliness. Bike rentals range from €10 to €15 per day.
- Trams, buses, and metro: The public transport system is efficient and extensive. A one-hour ticket costs €3.20, while a 24-hour ticket is €8.
- Canal boats and ferries: The canal boats offer a picturesque way to explore the city. Prices vary depending on the route, from €8 to €25. The ferries are free and operate across the IJ River.
- Taxis: They can be costly, with an initial fare of €3.25, and an additional €2.40 per kilometer.
- Requesting information on local SIM cards and connectivity
Stay connected throughout your trip by inquiring about local SIM cards and plans for mobile data usage.
User prompt: What options do I have for buying a local SIM card when I arrive in Tokyo, Japan, and can you provide some plan details?
AI response: In Tokyo, you’ll find many options to purchase local SIM cards upon arrival. Major providers include NTT DOCOMO, SoftBank, and au. You can purchase SIM cards at the airport, electronic stores, or convenience stores.
Typical prepaid options are:
- NTT DOCOMO: 2 GB valid for 30 days, priced at around ¥2,980.
- SoftBank: Unlimited data for 31 days, priced at around ¥4,000.
- au: 5 GB valid for 30 days, priced at around ¥5,000.
For the best coverage and service, ensure your mobile device is compatible with Japan’s network frequencies.
Local Experience and Activity Suggestions
- Requesting off-the-beaten-path activity recommendations
If you want to explore lesser-known attractions and activities, just ask for suggestions that will help you connect with the local culture and avoid the tourist crowds.
User prompt: I’m visiting Cape Town, South Africa, and looking for authentic experiences. Can you suggest a few off-the-beaten-path activities to do?
AI response: Cape Town offers a variety of unique and authentic experiences:
- Visit the vibrant Bo-Kaap neighborhood, known for its colorful houses and Cape Malay culture. Take a cooking class with a local to learn about traditional cuisine.
- Go for a scenic hike in the Silvermine Nature Reserve, which offers diverse landscapes and stunning views of the city and coastline.
- Tour Langa Township with a knowledgeable local guide to gain insights into the area’s history, culture, and community development initiatives.
- Requesting recommendations for local markets
Explore local markets to engage with the community, admire the craftsmanship, and sample regional cuisine.
User prompt: I’ll be in Marrakech, Morocco, and I’d like to explore some of the city’s markets. Can you recommend a few that offer a diverse range of goods and local experiences?
AI response: Marrakech is known for its bustling markets, or souks. Here are a few worth exploring:
- Jemaa el-Fnaa: The city’s central square, where you can find food stalls, henna artists, snake charmers, and more. It’s an excellent place to immerse yourself in local culture.
- Mellah Market: Located in the Jewish Quarter, this market offers spices, herbs, fruit, and vegetables. It’s less crowded than other markets and provides a unique shopping experience.
- Souk Semmarine: Perfect for encountering traditional Moroccan items like leather goods, ceramics, carpets, and jewelry, this souk is the city’s largest and most famous.
- Requesting suggestions for unique local cuisine experiences
If you’re a food enthusiast, ask for local dining recommendations or information on regional dishes to taste authentic flavors during your trip.
User prompt: I’ll be in Naples, Italy, and I’m looking for unique local dining experiences. Can you recommend any restaurants or dishes that I shouldn’t miss?
AI response: In Naples, you’ll find a variety of unique and delicious dining experiences:
- Pizzeria Sorbillo: Renowned for its pizzas, this historic eatery offers classics like the Margherita or Marinara, made with local ingredients and cooked in a wood-fired oven.
- Pescheria Azzurra: Try a traditional seafood dish like ‘frittura di paranza’ at this local fish market-restaurant. They offer a casual dining experience where you can choose your fresh catch to be cooked on the spot.
- Sfogliatelle from Pasticceria Poppella: Indulge in the Neapolitan pastry ‘sfogliatella,’ a flaky, filled confection with a crisp crust. Pasticceria Poppella is known for its exceptional quality and classic flavors such as ricotta or sweet cream.
- Requesting events and activities for art enthusiasts
To receive suggestions for cultural experiences based on your artistic interests, simply ask for events or locations that cater to your preferred art form while specifying the destination and time frame.
User prompt: I’m an art lover visiting Tokyo in June. Could you recommend some art-related events or activities happening during that month?
AI response: During your visit to Tokyo in June, you might want to explore these art-related events and activities:
- The Design Festa: This biannual event showcases a variety of creative works, including illustrations, sculptures, installations, and live performances.
- The National Art Center, Tokyo: This museum offers unique exhibitions and collections of contemporary and traditional art. Check their schedule for June to see the featured displays.
- ArtBar Tokyo: Unleash your creativity through a fun and social painting experience, guided by a professional artist. They offer sessions in English, and no previous experience is required.
- Requesting activities for outdoor enthusiasts
For recommendations tailored to your love for outdoor activities, specify your location, interests, and the type of experience you’re looking for.
User prompt: I’ll be in Queenstown, New Zealand, and I’m a huge fan of outdoor adventures. Can you suggest some thrilling activities I should try while I’m there?
AI response: Queenstown offers a variety of adrenaline-pumping outdoor experiences. You might want to consider these activities:
- Bungee jumping from the Kawarau Bridge: Experience the thrill of a 43-meter leap at the world’s first commercial bungee jumping site.
- Zip-lining in the forests of Bob’s Peak: Soar above Queenstown through a series of tree-mounted platforms while taking in the stunning views.
- White-water rafting on the Shotover River: Navigate the thrilling rapids of this iconic river on a guided rafting trip, perfect for adventure-seekers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Requesting music-related events and activities
To find events and activities revolving around your passion for music, be sure to mention your destination, musical preferences, and time frame.
User prompt: I’m a jazz lover visiting New Orleans in October. Are there any jazz events, shows, or activities you can recommend during my visit?
AI response: New Orleans has a vibrant jazz scene, and visiting in October offers some fantastic opportunities to experience the city’s rich musical culture:
- Crescent City Blues & BBQ Festival: This free annual event brings together renowned jazz and blues artists and delicious regional cuisine.
- Preservation Hall: Attend a live jazz performance in this iconic venue, known for its authentic atmosphere and traditional New Orleans jazz bands.
- Frenchmen Street: Immerse yourself in the city’s music scene by exploring the lively nightclubs and bars that host live jazz performances throughout the week.
Language Translation and Cultural Support
- Translating phrases to support everyday interactions
For help with language translation, simply provide the phrase you want to translate and specify the target language to communicate more effectively during your travels.
User prompt: I want to ask for directions to the nearest metro station in Spanish. How do I say that?
AI response: To ask for directions to the nearest metro station in Spanish, you can say, “¿Dónde está la estación de metro más cercana?”
- Understanding cultural norms and etiquette
If you need guidance on local customs to ensure a smooth trip, ask for specific advice on cultural norms and etiquette.
User prompt: I’ll be visiting Japan soon. Can you provide some general etiquette tips for dining in restaurants there?
AI response: When dining at Japanese restaurants, follow these etiquette tips:
- Remove your shoes if you’re seated on tatami mats or in traditional dining areas.
- Say “itadakimasu” before you start eating and “gochisosama” after finishing your meal to express gratitude.
- When using chopsticks, avoid sticking them vertically into your food, as it resembles a funeral ritual.
- Learning essential words or phrases for emergency situations
To prepare for any situation, ask for essential words or phrases that you may need in a foreign language in case of emergencies.
User prompt: What are some essential German phrases I should know for emergency situations during my visit to Germany?
AI response: Here are some essential German phrases for emergency situations:
- Hilfe! (Help!)
- Ich brauche einen Arzt. (I need a doctor.)
- Polizei. (Police.)
- Feuerwehr. (Fire department.)
- Gibt es eine Apotheke in der Nähe? (Is there a pharmacy nearby?)
- Wo ist das nächste Krankenhaus? (Where is the nearest hospital?)
- Discovering local customs and practices
If you’re curious about local customs and practices in a country you’re visiting, simply ask for specific information on the cultural aspects you want to explore.
User prompt: I’ll be attending a business meeting in China. Can you give me some tips on gift-giving etiquette?
AI response: In China, gift-giving is an important aspect of business meetings. Here are some etiquette tips to follow:
- Offer and receive gifts with both hands.
- Gifts should be wrapped, but avoid white or black wrapping, as these colors can symbolize mourning.
- Avoid gifting clocks, as they’re associated with death.
- It’s common for the recipient to politely refuse a gift initially; gently insist a few times before they accept it.
- Understanding social etiquette and gestures
For help with social etiquette and gestures, ask for advice on the specific country and the type of interaction you’re preparing for.
User prompt: I’m going to India for a wedding. What are some important social gestures and etiquette tips I should know?
AI response: When attending a wedding in India, consider these social gestures and etiquette tips:
- Dress conservatively and opt for traditional clothing, like a saree or kurta.
- Remove your shoes before entering a place of worship or someone’s home.
- Greet elders with a gentle bow and a namaste (palms pressed together at chest level).
- If you choose to give a gift, money is an acceptable and common option; give it in an envelope with an odd number amount (e.g., ₹1,101).
- Exploring cultural insights related to food and drinks
To enhance your dining experiences while traveling, ask for cultural insights related to local foods, drinks, and dining customs.
User prompt: I’m visiting Paris and love trying local wines. What are some etiquette tips I should keep in mind at a traditional French restaurant?
AI response: When enjoying wine at a traditional French restaurant, follow these etiquette tips:
- Allow the waiter to guide you through the wine list and offer recommendations based on your preferences and your chosen meal.
- It’s common for the host to order wine for the table, so refrain from ordering individually unless prompted.
- Wait for the host to raise a toast before taking your first sip.
- When clinking glasses, make eye contact with the person you’re toasting, and avoid crossing over someone else’s arm.
🙌 Responsible use of AI & ChatGPT
To fully capitalize on this cutting-edge technology, it’s important to keep ethical considerations and limitations in mind.
- Navigating Ethical Considerations: When using ChatGPT to assist with any topic, bear in mind the ethical aspects involved. Take the advice it offers with a pinch of salt and always verify suggestions before putting them into practice.
- Double-checking Accuracy and Reliability: Ensure the information ChatGPT provides is accurate and relevant to your topic. Confirm its validity by cross-referencing with trustworthy sources.
- Putting Privacy and Security First: Be conscious of the data you share while interacting with ChatGPT. Protect your personal and sensitive information by avoiding unnecessary disclosures and following recommended security practices.
- Being Aware of AI-based Assistance Limitations: Recognize that ChatGPT might not have all the answers for every topic. Use it as a helpful sidekick rather than an all-knowing oracle.
- The Perfect Balance: Foster a productive partnership between AI and your own knowledge when exploring any subject. Let ChatGPT spark new ideas and possibilities while trusting your creativity and intuition for your final decisions.
P.S. – No one asked me to put this disclaimer here, but I did anyway. ChatGPT, in particular, can be extremely potent when using it with a specific intention and prior domain knowledge.
ChatGPT Guides & Prompts
Interested in other domains also? Be sure to check out our full list of guides: